Also to have had the privilege of working together with Irish master producer Dónal Lunny, who has been the architect behind such seminal groups as Planxty, Bothy Band and Coolfin and has produced U2, Sinead O'Connor, Baaba Maal and Elvis Costello to name but a few. Lunny has chosen to work together with the band since 2001, both as a producer and as guest musician.
The tangible results of this co-operation are the previous CD's:
"Cuckanandy" (GO0102) 2002, "Sweet Nyaa" (GO0105) 2005, and now the CD "Welcome: Who are you?" (GO0608)
For the second time, Moving Cloud went to Japan to work together with Dónal Lunny - this time in Mana Studio in Okinawa. Mastering was done by Tim Martin in U2's Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin.
The album consists of a selection of strong traditional songs and ballads gathered from field recordings of Irish gypsies, or "Pavees", as they like to call themselves. As far as the instrumental music is concerned, current members of Moving Cloud have provided 7 new tunes together with a percussion composition, whilst previous members of the band have contributed 3 more original tunes.
Lunny appears as guest musician on all of the album's 13 numbers, playing bodhrán bass and traditional Okinawan sanshin, whilst the renowned jazz trumpeter Gunnar Lautrup lays down some sweet swinging trumpet on 2 of the songs.
Welcome: Who are you?"
On Good Friday in 2000 Svend visited legendary flute player Peter Horan in his farmhouse in Phaleesh, just outside Killavil in South Sligo. Svend had arranged that fiddler Mick Conneely would join the lads for a few tunes, but Peter and Mick had never met before. When Mick arrived, Peter opened the door and said: "Welcome: Who are you?"
Svend Kjeldsen: Bodhráns, percussion & vocalMette Løvschal: Irish step dance & vocalChristopher Davis Maack: FiddleJohn Pilkington: Vocal, guitar & Irish bouzoukiKlavs Vester: Flute, tin whistles & low whistles
Dónal Lunny: Bodhrán Bass & sanshin
Gunnar Lautrup: Trumpet
1. The Wild Colonial Boy
2. Coleman's No. 1 / Ton Double Fisel / Kiely Cotters /How we spent the Christmas
3. The Blind Beggar / The Wistful Wanderer
4. The New Found Out / Round the World / Ormond Sound
5. What will you do? / April Rain
6. Anahorish...my place of clear water...
7. House of Gerding / Mind the Crawler / Beeminority
8. The Girl I left behind / The Moth
9. Farewell to Monagh / Welcome to Mauden /Drops of Springwater / New Mown Meadows
10. Around the Hills of Clare / Ferry Reel
11. Spic and Span / The Old Apricot / The Wandering Trousers
12. Owney Davey's / Tommy Whelan's / Johnny Hand's /Mrs. Flanagan's
13. The Peeler and the Goat / The Plastered Peeler
GO' Danish Folk music